- 1 Is Walter a common name?
- 2 What is a nickname for Walter?
- 3 Is Walter a last name?
- 4 Where does the surname Walter come from?
- 5 Is Walter a black name?
- 6 What does Walter stand for?
- 7 What does the name Walter mean in the Bible?
- 8 What name is Wally short for?
- 9 What baby boy names mean gift from God?
- 10 How do you pronounce Walter?
- 11 How do you spell Walter?
- 12 What does Walter Mitty mean?
- 13 How common is the last name Walters?
- 14 What does the name Wallace mean?
- 15 What does the name Alex mean?
Is Walter a common name?
Records indicate that 614,625 boys in the United States have been named Walter since 1880. The greatest number of people were given this name in 1918, when 13,353 people in the U.S. were given the name Walter. Those people are now 102 years old.
What is a nickname for Walter?
|Region of origin||Northern Europe|
|Related names||Valter, Valtyr, Wouter, Gauthier, Gualtiero, Gutierre, Valtteri|
Is Walter a last name?
Last name: Walter
Recorded in over forty spelling forms including Walter, Walters and Water (England), Gaultier, Galtie and Gauthier (France), Walter, Walther and Waldherr (Germany), Gwalter and Gwilt (Wales), this is a surname of Germanic origins.
Where does the surname Walter come from?
Walters is a surname of English origin. It used to denote “Son of Walter”, derived from the given name Walter, which was introduced into England and Wales about the time of the Norman Conquest. The name “Walter” originates from the Old German wald (“rule”) + heri (“warrior”).
Is Walter a black name?
The race and Hispanic origin distribution of the people with the name WALTER is 78.5% White, 5.5% Hispanic origin, 12.4% Black, 1.6% Asian or Pacific Islander, 1.4% Two or More Races, and 0.6% American Indian or Alaskan Native.
What does Walter stand for?
From a Germanic name meaning “ruler of the army”, composed of the elements wald “rule” and hari “army”. The Normans brought it to England, where it replaced the Old English cognate Wealdhere. A famous bearer of the name was the English courtier, poet and explorer Sir Walter Raleigh (1552-1618).
What does the name Walter mean in the Bible?
From a Germanic name meaning “ruler of the army”, composed of the elements wald “rule” and hari “army”.
What name is Wally short for?
Wally as a boy’s name (also used as girl’s name Wally). Short form of names such as Walter and Wallace.
What baby boy names mean gift from God?
Boy Names That Mean Gift From God
- Adiel. Meaning: Hebrew for God sent.
- Anana. Meaning: Greek for “Given by God”
- Corbon. Meaning: Hebrew for “Offered from God”
- Donato. Meaning: Italian for “Gift from God”
- Dorek. Meaning: Polish for “God’s Gift.
- Elsi. Meaning: Greek for “God’s satisfaction sent to earth”
How do you pronounce Walter?
Here are 4 tips that should help you perfect your pronunciation of ‘walter‘:
- Break ‘walter‘ down into sounds: [WOL] + [TUH] – say it out loud and exaggerate the sounds until you can consistently produce them.
- Record yourself saying ‘walter‘ in full sentences, then watch yourself and listen.
How do you spell Walter?
Correct spelling for the English word “walter” is [wˈɒltə], [wˈɒltə], [w_ˈɒ_l_t_ə] (IPA phonetic alphabet).
What does Walter Mitty mean?
The American Heritage Dictionary defines a Walter Mitty as “an ordinary often ineffectual person who indulges in fantastic daydreams of personal triumphs”. The most famous of Thurber’s inept male protagonists, the character is considered “the archetype for dreamy, hapless, Thurber Man”.
How common is the last name Walters?
Walters Surname Distribution Map
What does the name Wallace mean?
The name Wallace is a boy’s name of Scottish, English origin meaning “foreigner, stranger”.
What does the name Alex mean?
It is of Greek origin, and the meaning of Alex is “man’s defender, warrior”. On This Page: Famous Alexs.